Product review: Sun shades for use with DJI Phantom 2 Vision or Vision+ (plus?)

Hello,

So as I like supporting entrepreneurs and small businesses who make quality accessories for UAVs I ordered a standard sunshade from XO Innovations (aka Milton Amaya) since he made one to fit my exact model of phone (Nexus 4). He also kindly (and unexpectedly) sent me a version of his flagship "magnifier" sun shade to have a look at. I knew I'd like the look and feel of the original shade (hence why I got it), but have to admit I was sceptical about the magnifier version - I felt it was going to be just a gimmick and way too cumbersome but figured I'd give both a try and do a thorough review of both versions...

Links to how to buy in the video description. Just a clarification: I've been told my Milton that he used to supply the second clamps for use with the magnifier version as an additional cost item. He can't do anything except buy them retail and sell on at cost, though, which with fees means they were running at a loss. He now suggests you pick them up from DJI dealers online for around $19 or equivalent if you intend to use the magnifier shade all the time.

Nice looking bits of kit and that lens is brilliant.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

It is... it's been very well matched to the use and the alignment is spot on. These things are very carefully made and they came very well packed, too - survived being thrown around by two national postal services without issue.

Hi Simon, ordered one well after ordering a P2V+, looks like I'll have the shade before the V+. Good 'ol DJI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine just arrived. Broken in transit and no extra phone holder. The packaging didn't allow for the weight of the lens. It was wrapped outside, but the lens had no support in the box. It's weight broke it from it's mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats not good. How has the vendor responded.
    I fly Phantom 2 with Gopro 3 Black, Zenmuse, Imersion RC600, Black Pearl Monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Doono View Post
    Mine just arrived. Broken in transit and no extra phone holder. The packaging didn't allow for the weight of the lens. It was wrapped outside, but the lens had no support in the box. It's weight broke it from it's mount.
    Oh no! Mine was really well wrapped and survived international travel completely unscathed. Milton is very responsive and I suspect if you email him will get back quickly.

The second holder doesn't come as standard I've been told (put addendum on the description). He used to offer them as an additional purchase but as he can't get them wholesale was losing on every one. DJI dealers can supply them (Dronefly is one example if in USA).

Let us know how it pans out - support standards when there are issues are a big part of product ratings in my book...

Quote Originally Posted by Doono View Post
    I passed this information on to Milton in case you hadn't as yet. I suggested he may wish to join this forum but until he gets that job done here's what he said to me via email:

[T]hank you for letting me know that, this is the first one that has happen that i know of, i sold over 300 pcs already since i started selling. Please tell him to contact me i will send a new one ASAP, no need to send the broken one the picture is sufficient.

Milton was straight onto it

I PM'd him (Simon's contact also) he responded and is sending a replacement. Can't ask for better than that.

Yeah, bearing in mind mine survived USPS, airport cargo handlers, and Royal Mail yours must have taken a real kicking in the sorting office! Maybe it was air-dropped without a parachute?! Glad Milton was on the case - I thought he would be, he certainly comes across as having a "can do" attitude!

Manual Reader
    Try this:-
    DJI Phantom SunShade for the Iphone 5 (White) | eBay
    Se the other items for other phones.

Manual Reader
    Try this:-
    DJI Phantom SunShade for the Iphone 5 (White) | eBay

See other items for other phone types..