Manual Reader

Avoid Registration or not?

Hi Folks

Greetings from bonny Scotland.

I’m currently at the just opened my Mavik fly more package and charged the batteries stage.

DJI Go 4.0.6 loaded on my nexus 7” with firewall installed.

Currently staring at the registration screen and wondering how to get around that, I’m sure the answer is here somewhere.

Once that is sorted just waiting for the weather.

Regards
    Last edited by McCopter; 09-11-17 at 03:11 PM.

Prop Installer
    Can't you just put any random details in? All it asks for is a name and email address. Don't think I even got an activation email.

I haven't got the mavic yet though so not sure if it'd require more info when activating the drone.
    Last edited by YOUSER; 09-11-17 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Grammar

Manual Reader
    With the controller bound to the Mavik and the Nexus connected to the controller I get the registration screens.

Once Iíve named the drone and entered an e mail address and password it informs me there is no internet connection and it wonít allow me to go any further.

Iím out of thoughts at the moment. I donít want it to have an internet connection for fear of being forced to download the latest firmware etc.

Any thoughts chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by McCopter View Post
    With the controller bound to the Mavik and the Nexus connected to the controller I get the registration screens.

Once Iíve named the drone and entered an e mail address and password it informs me there is no internet connection and it wonít allow me to go any further.

Iím out of thoughts at the moment. I donít want it to have an internet connection for fear of being forced to download the latest firmware etc.

Any thoughts chaps.
    I would register it, and once that is complete, quickly unplug the rc from the nexus. Then I would factory reset the nexus, and then I would install a patched version of the app. Then I would never let the nexus go online again. Quad808 would instead let the nexus go online, because he runs a firewall to block the app, but I'm far too lazy to do that.

Manual Reader
    Any chance of ending up with a rather expensive paperweight?

I don't know. Yet another option is to use dumldore to backup your firmware now, and then do whatever to get registered, and then you have the option to downgrade your firmware if you need to.

Manual Reader
    Is there not a problem rolling back if you get stuck with the latest firmware?

Would I need to back up if I can download a previous copy of Mavik firmware?

Is there not a problem rolling back if you get stuck with the latest firmware?
    I 've heard that dumldore now supports even 1000 version of firmware

Would I need to back up if I can download a previous copy of Mavik firmware?
    I would ask for more details regarding such things in this thread: http://forums.multicopterpilots.com/...ead.php?t=1578

Prop Installer
    How does warranty work? Doesn't it require the Mavic to be registered?

Prop Installer
    Why would one want to fly without a data connection?
    What are they looking to avoid? Other than using up data.

Another question I have is, if at home and I open the Go4 app and browse areas I intened to fly at using the maps and have the maps cached, will I have maps in real time if I were to fly without a data connection?

Yes you just have to load the map data and it gets cached, then it will still load when offline.

As to your other questions about staying offline, there has been at least two disturbing revelations about the DJI app having backdoors. These back doors can be used to actually patch the app, without doing a formal update from the store. There is also the possibility that the app is sending data back to DJI that you might never expect.

My routine is such that I have a 100% dedicated phone for the app, and I wipe it clean to factory, then set it up to my taste, like install drone harmony mission planner beta, and cache some maps for that, and then it goes off permanently, and THEN and only then do I install the patched DJI GO app, and only use it for settings changes that the other app doesn't have. Whenever its time to go back online to update something, I wipe it clean to factory and repeat the whole process.